Perfect for morning tea or as an after-dinner treat, this festive spiced cake is the perfect end to any meal.
- 4 Weet-Bix™, finely crushed
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup molasses or treacle
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 2 tsp icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line base and two sides of a 20 cm cake tin with a strip of baking paper.
- Combine Weet-Bix, flour, spices, and salt in a large bowl. Stir well.
- In a jug, whisk together boiling water and molasses. Add brown sugar and oil and whisk again. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to just combine.
- Transferred batter into prepared tin. Bake 20 - 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar and scatter over pomegranate seeds to serve.
- No wholemeal self-raising flour in the pantry? Replace with regular wholemeal flour, and add 1 1⁄2 tsp baking powder + 1/4 tsp bi-carb soda.
Saturated Fat (g)1
Dietary Fibre (g)2.7