Lentil & mushroom roll
This vegetarian alternative to sausage rolls is sure to be loved by the whole family. A source of protein, fibre & iron.
- 1 x 425g tin brown lentils, drained
- 100g button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium brown onion, grated
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 3 Weet-Bix wheat biscuits, finely crushed
- 2 square sheets frozen puff pastry, just thawed
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, optional
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Line a tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, roughly mash lentils with a fork. Add veggies, tomato paste and soy sauce and stir well. Fold Weet-Bix wheat biscuits into lentil mixture.
- Cut puff pastry sheets in half. Spoon a quarter of the filling down a long edge of each pastry rectangle, roll to enclose filling and pinch seam to seal.
- Cut each roll into 6 pieces and place on prepared tray. Brush tops with a bit of water and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using.
- Bake 15-18 minutes, until pastry is golden and filling is hot. Serve warm or at room temperature, with passata sauce for dipping.
- Quickly prep veggies by pulsing onion, carrot, and mushrooms in a food processor instead of grating and dicing.
- For a vegan roll use vegan (no-butter) puff pastry.
- Mushrooms can be substituted with an equal quantity of riced cauliflower, or additional grated carrot.
Saturated Fat (g)4
Dietary Fibre (g)2.8