Pear & almond breakfast bake
Wholesome and hearty, the fragrant tray-bake is ideal for breakfast or morning tea. Contains iron, protein and calcium for normal growth and development as part of a balanced diet.
- 2 pears, cored
- 7 Weet-Bix wheat biscuits, broken into pieces
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk, or So Good Soy or Almond Milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Lightly oil a shallow 1.5 ltr baking dish.
- Dice one and a half of the pears and place in base of prepared baking dish. Toss Weet-Bix wheat biscuits pieces with pears and spread into an even layer.
- Whisk eggs, milk, cinnamon, and half the syrup in a large jug. Slowly pour egg mixture into the baking dish. Smooth surface with a large spoon to submerge ingredients.
- Slice remaining pear half and arrange over egg mixture. Toss almonds in remaining maple syrup and sprinkle over top of the sliced pear.
- Cover dish with foil and bake 60 mins. Remove foil and bake a further 5 -10 mins, until golden on top and firm in the centre. Cool on a rack at least 15 mins before cutting. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- For a nut-free bake, replace almonds with sunflower seeds and use a nut-free milk.
- Pears can be replaced with sliced apples, or summer stone fruit.
- Top with a dollop of yoghurt to serve, if you wish.
Saturated Fat (g)2
Dietary Fibre (g)4.2